Deciding if a career as a real estate agent is right for you is an important decision to make before you start the process of getting a license. Becoming a real estate agent is not difficult but you should be aware of the challenges and personality type the job requires, and decide if it is the right profession for you. While many people become successful agents and have fulfilling careers, others quit soon after they start working as agents due to simply realizing this is not what they want to do in life.
It takes several qualities to be successful as a real estate agent:
- outgoing, love working with people - to work as a real estate agent you must be a people person. This job will require you to work with many different people and you will have to be able to identify and address each one’s special needs.
- positive and patient - since not all clients will result in sales, you must be prepared for serving many prospective clients without earning a commission. Rejection is part of the game so you will need to develop a thick skin.
- self promotion - you will be in charge of promoting yourself and getting leads to potential clients. You cannot be ashamed to ask for referrals, recommendations and ask friends and family for contacts.
- hard worker - your customers will expect you to be timely and prompt. Since most people work and have obligations during the day, they prefer to do the apartment or house hunting/sale during evenings and weekends after their work hours. This means that often, you will be required to work long hours, evenings and weekends.
- entrepreneurial - becoming a real estate agent is in many ways similar to being a business owner. Since the work is commission based, you are not guaranteed a paycheck every month.
Have questions about the profession of a real estate agent? Ask us in the comments and we’ll try to help.